Automated OpenShift 4.x Deployment Options on IBM Power Platform
Few months back we had the first release of Red Hat OpenShift 4 on IBM Power platform. This was a joint engineering effort between Red Hat and IBM teams, which continues as we work towards making latest OpenShift releases available for our enterprise Power customers.
In addition it’s been our constant endeavour to provide tools and assets to make it easier to spin up OpenShift 4.x clusters.
Our current focus is to simplify deployment of required services for OpenShift 4.x UPI (User Provisioned Infrastructure) based deployments on Power.
This article aims to provide a summary of the available options.
OpenShift 4.x UPI Deployment Options
Deployment of Power servers in the enterprise can be categorized into four types.
- PowerVM based servers with HMC being the basic unit of management
- PowerVM servers with PowerVC being the basic unit of management
- KVM based servers with libvirt being the basic unit of management
- Baremetal servers without any hypervisor (KVM or PowerVM)
For all the above deployment types you can use the following approaches:
- Use OCP4 helpernode ansible playbook to setup required infrastructure services for UPI and then follow these guides for OCP 4.x deployment
This can be used for all the 4 deployment types.
However the helpernode playbook doesn’t handle infrastructure provisioning and it needs to be handled separately. For end-to-end automated OpenShift 4.x UPI deployments, including infrastructure provisioning, take a look at the next two options.
3. Use ocp4-upi-kvm to deploy OCP4.x on KVM based servers managed via libvirt.
Both ocp4-upi-powervm and ocp4-upi-kvm re-uses the ocp4 helpernode ansible playbook to provide end-to-end automation for OCP 4.x deployment on Power servers
Please head to the respective projects for usage instructions or for any enhancement requests, contributions or issues.
- OCP4 helpernode playbook — https://github.com/RedHatOfficial/ocp4-helpernode
- OCP4 UPI deployment on PowerVM servers managed using PowerVC — https://github.com/ocp-power-automation/ocp4-upi-powervm
- OCP4 UPI deployment on KVM servers managed using libvirt — https://github.com/ocp-power-automation/ocp4-upi-kvm